Have a Little Faith in Me
As I mentioned in a post a little while ago, Neal and I have been ask to be Godparents to our 7 month-old nephew Ben. Of course, we graciously accepted this honor. But not without a moment when both of us looked at each other and said, “Us? Really?”
The idea of being a Godmother, with the responsibility of guiding a young person down their path of faith and spirituality is a perplexing challenge to me. You see, I have personally questioned religion and faith for years. The ironic part? I was baptised Catholic at a young age (never went through the confirmation process though) and I attended Gonzaga University, a private Catholic-Jesuit institution When I was in school, I had religious studies as a requirement including: Old & New Testament, Feminist Theologies, Religion of Third World Nations and more.
I attended mass when I was compelled to, like the day after 9/11.
We were married in a chapel, saying the classic marriage vows. Which I believe in, wholeheartedly.
I have visited mosques, temples, cathedrals and churches all around the world and I am constantly mesmerized by conviction of faith and belief.
I have the utmost respect for those who have faith in a higher power or deity, but I’ll be honest…. I am not there yet. And at the age of 31, I wonder will I ever? And then I have to wonder, will I even be a good Godmother to little Ben?
Allow me to share I believe:
- The goodness of humanity
- That life is a combination of luck and a predetermined path
- Science and faith can co-exist together
- Love will (and most often does) conquer evil
- Following your heart (and listening to it) will bring you to where you are meant to be
- The universe is complex and incredible, beyond my understanding or grasp.
- That having faith in others is just as important as having faith in yourself
- Life isn’t a linear path, with boxes to check or “to-do”. We are constantly on a curvy journey from start to finish.
**Ah, deep breath.**
Rome wasn’t built in a day (pun intended) and sometimes neither is faith.
These are just a few of my musings that I thought I would share here… on my blog. (Since that’s the whole idea of blogging…right?)
I would love to hear what your thoughts are on the idea of faith and religion. And any pearls of wisdom in the hopes of me being an “okay” Godmother….