Adding a Pop of Wedding Day Color: Tips for Selecting a Florist
Greetings my lovely blog readers! I thought I would tackle another installment of wedding planning advice from myself a seven month newlywed by talking about floral. As you are aware (since you are a smart and savvy wedding planning bride) that floral is a quick way to make a major visual impact for your wedding day, while adding tons and tons of color!
I love color, but when it came to selecting flowers for our wedding I was just a bit stuck. I knew that I wanted deep rich color palette to go with my peacock theme, but I wasn’t sure what that looked like.
This is when a creative and experienced florist comes in handy.
When considering a florist for your wedding let me pass along a few tips:
- Ask Around: (Yup, same advice as wedding photographers!) Sure, you can check out regional wedding planning blogs for floral references but remember many times they are paying to have their ad or post listed there. The best referral source? Your friends.
- Have a Realistic Budget: Do you have 2 bridemaids or 10? Understand that each bridesmaid bouquet can start at $50 and go from there. Be realistic in cost per person, cost per table for centerpieces, etc. If you are looking for budget friendly options, be ready to make compromises.
- Research What is in Season: Flowers, just like fruits and veggies, are seasonal. Look at what can be grown regionally at the time of your wedding. Many brides die for peonies, but they are a very limited season swap for full English roses instead for similar effect.
- Be Flexible: For me, I was a bride on a budget and floral was an area where you can get out of control really really quickly. (Those roses start adding up quickly!) Let your florist know that if there are budget friendlier floral swaps, you are happy to hear them.
- A Few Questions to Consider Asking:
- How many weddings do you do in a single day?
- Can I provide my own flowers, feathers or other elements?
- Will you arrange elements for centerpieces plus floral?
- Will you coordinate with my bakery for my cake topper?
- Are you willing to drop flowers off at multiple locations for the wedding day?
I was lucky enough to come across Designs by Dawn (referral by a friend) as our florist. She was wonderful to work with: creative and flexible…a perfect combination for me!
For example, I scoured the internet for peacock feathers to be incorporated into bouquets and centerpieces to then pass along to Dawn to be included. Ultimately, I found 100 peacock feathers in various sizes for just $50. (This beats JoAnne’s anyday!) I used Lamplight Feather Inc. (I would recommend them 100%!) I passed them along to Dawn to incorporated the feathers throughout the day.
In case you are wondering the flowers that were in my bridal bouquet were:
- White peonies
- Dark purple lizianthus
- Dark purple sweet peas
- Dark purple tulips
- Dark blue delphinium
- Dark blue corn flower
- Green Hypericum berries
Here are a few snapshots of the floral from the day….
I hope this helps in deciding selecting your perfect wedding day florist to add a pop of color to your day!